Wednesday, February 26, 2020

BHS
Environmental Science
WAG

This year I wanted to do something a little different than a standard google slides presentation for a unit on Biomes for my Environmental Science class. I created a mini-WAG assignment in which students had to create a children’s book about the biome. They had to choose an animal from that biome as their main character and create a story with that animal to hit on key points of the biome (plants, animals, climate, landforms, human impacts).

I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results! ALL of my students handed in the COMPLETED assignment ON TIME - which has never happened yet this year. They were all efficiently working on it in class, and got really into it; they were joking around and sharing their work! I then had them present their finished books to their table and a couple students volunteered to share their story with the whole class.

After completing these books, we did an activity in which each table group had to list 1 animal, 1 plant, the average temperature, the average rainfall, and color the location in on a map of 4 different biomes - the table that got the most correct won! I found that the students really knew the material better than in year’s past and I believe it has to do with their enthusiasm and effort they put into their biome books!! It was such a different way for the students to write and express themselves that I think it really had a positive impact.

Here are some examples of the final products:

No comments:

Post a Comment